The Warren Public Library was awarded a grant from Vermont Reads- 2009, sponsored by The VT Humanities Council, for an intergenerational community reading/activity project during October-2009. We will be spotlighting a book, “When the Emperor Was Divine” by Julie Otsuka, that explores the internment of Japanese Americans in the United States during World War II. The following book-related activities are planned:
– Thursday, Oct. 1, Community Potluck Kick-Off Event at the Warren Library-5:30PM-8PM;
– Fridays, Oct. 9 and Oct. 23, “Book Talk” Radio Show-11AM, WMRW-95.1FM;
– Tuesday, Oct. 13, Community Panel and Potluck- World War II Discussion at Evergreen Place (Waitsfield)-11:30AM-1PM;
– Thursday, Oct. 29, Community Book Discussion at the Warren Library-7PM;
– Wednesday, Nov. 4, Community Book Discussion at the Moretown Library-7PM; and
– Haiku Writing Event will be on going in Valley schools during October-2009.
Events are free, but call the Warren Library (496-3913) or Gail Hietzker (583-1935) to make reservations for the Community Potluck Kick-Off on Oct. 1 and the Panel Discussion at Evergreen Place on Oct. 13. Potluck participants are asked to bring a dish to pass (side dish, salad or dessert) that serves about 8 to 10 people. Our collaborating partners in this project are: The Joslin Memorial Library (Waitsfield), The Moretown Public Library, The Mad River Valley Rotary Club and The Mad River Valley Senior Citizens, Inc.